A helpful guide to choosing the right course
下载好玩吧app下载choosing the right course and deciding where you’ll spend the next few years studying is a huge decision to make. you’ll want to make sure you’ve weighed up your options and found the uni that best suits your career goals, interests, lifestyle and all the other things on your wish list.
Choosing the right subject
for some, choosing what to study at uni is a no-brainer – from early on they have always known what they want to do with their lives. but for others, it’s not as clear cut.
下载好玩吧app下载if you’re flipping through prospectus pages and nothing is really jumping out at you (or perhaps every course is starting to look appealing), why not take a step back and ask yourself these two simple questions?
1. What are you really interested in learning about?
Going to university is an investment of your time, hard work and finances, so choosing a subject下载好玩吧app下载 that you truly enjoy will ensure you get the most of uni.
2. What career do you want?
下载好玩吧app下载 think about what you want to do in the future and work backwards – will the course you choose help you get to where you want to be? it might help to write a list of all the things you want your career to offer you.
Use our subject cluster pages to narrow down your interests and ambitions to specific courses that you'd like to study.
Do your research
carry out a bit of research through university websites, , and by visiting open days.
here are some things to find out:
- What modules will you be studying?
- What are the learning outcomes?
- Who will be teaching you?
- How will you be assessed?
- Are there opportunities to take up a placement, spend a year in industry or study abroad?
- How long is the course?
- What qualification will your studies lead to?
Search courses at LJMU to find answers to the above. Then narrow down your choices further by drawing up a pros and cons list comparing the courses you’re most interested in.
Find the best uni experience
since you’re going to be based at your chosen uni for a few years, make sure it offers you what you need beyond the lecture hall as well.
下载好玩吧app下载consider things that matter to you such as:
- Is there a university sports team or student group you can join?
- Are there opportunities to study abroad?
- Can you engage with the wider community through volunteering, part-time work or placements?
- Are the facilities, library, accommodation and support on campus going to meet your needs?
- Are there things to do outside of campus in the university’s town or city? Have you looked into what’s on offer within reach of the uni, such as restaurants, green spaces, shopping, nightlife, activities and events?
Come to an Open Day
One of the best ways to help you decide where to study is to visit an Open Day. Liverpool John Moores University hosts a number of Open Days where you can hear from current students and lecturers about the courses that interest you. You’ll get a feel for what it’s like to study at LJMU. > Book your Open Day